I saved the movie for my bus trip up to NYC, since I'd have the time to give it my undivided attention and possibly be able to watch it twice. I may have sneaked a couple 5-minute peeks here and there, but I was mainly unspoiled.
It definitely appeals to the snowboard film purists, if only because of the sheer, raw amazingness of the terrain Travis Rice and friends were able to ride. It also appeals to the regular film-goer/person who likes cool things because it wasn't just sick shots of people riding; #TAOF (there I go again) was definitely a "film" in the cinematic sense of the word... there was a progressing story line and, one might even say, a climax. I have since watched it a couple more times and, each time, I am most impressed by the filming/editing/production. It is unbelievable to think of what this crew went through to complete this movie. Obviously, Travis Rice and all of the other riders in the film are what make it what it is, but it would have been an entirely different kid of movie without the teams behind its creation: Brain Farm Digital Cinema (one of the coolest companies ever) and Red Bull Media House. I know there were more people involved, but these are the only two filming and production-involved whose websites I could find. If you know of more, I'd definitely give them a shout-out, too.
There is something so singularly special about ski and snowboard films that is incomparable to anything else out there. It's almost like a glorification of man's power to control nature, but simultaneously showing the same power that nature and the terrain have over that man. Nothing can even come close.
While #TAOF is an amazing snowboarding movie, it definitely is in its own category. Many may like that it is different from others, and I'm sure many hate that as well... but it is the first that I have seen capture non-snowboard audiences, which is definitely a step in some kind of direction. I, personally, loved it for what it was but will continue to absolutely love the "traditionalist" snowboard films as well.
So, my point is: see it for yourself. I won't say that you'll love it -- because, strangely, some people just don't like this sort of thing-- but it'll definitely impress you.
(photos courtesy of www.theartofflight.com)


2 comments:
well it definitely looks interesting! i may need to put it on the list :)
I'm going to pass a link of this post over to a friend of mine, she's all about snowboarding! :-)
Post a Comment