1.20.2010

I hate to admit to this sad fact: I have only been riding a few times since being here. Why? Well, number 1: I work full time. Number 2: I've been sick. Number 3: I have really low confidence when it comes to my snowboarding ability.
I like to consider myself a risk taker, and one can probably see this from my riding style-- I take dramatic, 20 ft falls every time I go down. I'm not scared to get hurt and I'm not scared of taking speed to the limit. Unfortunately, I have no confidence when it comes to anything else. I think a lot of it has to do with my getting involved in the sport later on in life than most, along with it being primarily male-dominated. It's difficult as a female to try new things and fail, because (in my mind) people will presume that I am failing because I am a female, and "girls suck at snowboarding." At least this is what I think is making me feel this way.
Despite this fact, I really do love it. I love the feeling I get riding down the mountain, focusing solely on the physical sensation I have and how I will react to it. It's very similar to the feelings I used to get when I was a figure skater. There were very few things to think about while skating: sensation and technique, and how to bring those two together. While it can be very stressful to get frustrated over learning new things, at its core snowboarding is a very calming thing to do. I think I need to draw on that next time I'm out and stop worrying about failing and the embarrassment that comes along with it.
Get over and get on with it.

No comments: