3.01.2010

Protectin' my noggin

I am officially the owner of a brand new helmet! I figure it was about time to think about my own safety and the protection of that disgusting pink blob floating inside my skull. I've heard it's pretty important.
Upon purchase of said helmut, I send my mom texts that said:


You will be very happy to hear that I bought a helmet today
So no head injuries for me


She responded with:

Thank you sweet jesus!


I had always put off buying a helmet due to their high price. My recent college grad budget has determined my spending habits, and a helmet was just not on the shopping list. However-- I've heard about way too many snowboard deaths and injuries from head-impact related accidents this season, and decided that this would be the time to put aside my stingy tendencies (one might called them survival instincts) and purchase a helmet. Even a minor incident can result in major damage, and I do not want to be a part of the statistics. This is something I felt even more strongly about after seeing that even those wearing helmets can be severely injured. I doubt I have to explain the example of rider Kevin Pearce to get this point across.
In a recent study, it was shown that wearing a helmet while skiing or snowboarding reduces the risk of head injury by 35% ("Helmets on the slopes cut head injury risk," Toronto Globe and Mail.) Of course, these kinds of studies all produce different findings, dependent on the types of helmets and case examples used-- so results can vary greatly. However, there is no doubt that the use of a helmet can greatly decrease the likelihood of serious injury. That's enough for me to blow some of my paycheck on a helmet (with audio, of course.)
So. Next time I complain about an ouchie, it will most likely be due to my clumsiness rather than an attempt at some sick-nasty trick.


For your viewing pleasure, here's my friend Catherine (helmeted) and me, in my un-helmeted state, enjoying a beautiful day on the hill





No comments: