4.06.2011

#ProgressIs

WARNING: Sappy post ahead



Audi's awesome Twitter, a few months ago, held a contest for the best tweet that contained the hashtag #ProgressIs. Since then, I have been using this hashtag in my everyday life, from progressing in work-related tasks to progressing at mundane things I need to take care of. This is definitely not what they intended, but it's kind of a morale booster.
This week, however, I am applying it to a very special part of my life which I don't often talk about: my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Many people confuse Rheumatoid Arthritis with "regular" arthritis, which is a wearing down of the joints over time or repeated use. RA is different in that it is an autoimmune disease, where the body attacks itself (to put it simply.) Since being diagnosed in November with an aggressive form of RA after months of symptoms, I had not done any physical activity apart from snowboarding. (Nothing can keep me from snowboarding-- even pain!) After several treatments, I have started to feel much better, and last night I decided to go for my first jog in TWO YEARS. I did not experience any pain at all, apart from the feeling that my lungs were going to explode from non-use...

IT. WAS. AWESOME.

I finally understood what it is like to come back from a sickness or injury and begin to improve. I am so happy for the amazing medical advancements that have been made in the past ten years; without them, I would still be unable to walk once waking up in the morning, and crying from pain and frustration when trying to open a water bottle with my hands. I am also participating in an alumni hockey game this weekend in Syracuse, which will be my first time on the ice since my symptoms starting occurring in 2009.

I'd call that progress!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. YOU ARE SO AMAZING! and inspirational and your comment gave me the warm&fuzzies. i am so impressed, and touched, and inspired. thank you! xoxox

Sam W. said...

wahoo!!!! yay for being able to run :)