6.17.2011

ANGER MANAGEMENT

Last night, I fell asleep watching the movie "Anger Management" with the creepily awesome Jack Nicholson and hit-or-miss funny Adam Sandler. I probably should have stayed awake for the duration of the movie, as I needed some anger management skills this morning dealing with the dreaded Department of Motor Vehicles.


Since moving, I have had to take care of various address change things, and today was the day to go to the DMV to obtain a Virginia driver's license. "This should be easy," I thought, especially considering the fact that I already had a New York State driver's license and additional documentation.


I WAS SO WRONG.


I have never been so wrong in my life, in fact.


I waltzed into the mall (yes, the DMV is in a mall - dangerous) two hours early to ensure a good spot in the line. I stood in that line, throughout the entire waiting period. I had my papers ready. I was all set to go, smiling at the employees as they went by... I was in an excellent mood. Once the doors opened, I strode up to the front desk, showed the man my papers and he then proceeded to ask me where my "legal presence" papers were. ...Excuse me? I had my social security card in front of your face, sir, and my NYS license, for which I obviously had documentation to receive. I was livid. I told him I had a copy of my birth certificate and an expired passport. Not good enough, he said. I need the original birth certificate, he said.

Who am I, the President?


This is what the man at the DMV looked like. 
I gave him a dose of my New York City attitude to assure him of my good standing as a long-time citizen of the city of New York, and also to break up the monotony of the complacent Virginia citizens that rotate at that desk day-in and day-out. I waltzed stormed out of that office and I am now sitting here in the middle of the mall, waiting for my ride. Because I cannot get a Virginia driver's license until I travel back to New York to gather more proof of my "presence" (is this some sort of existential question?) and can once again get a ride from my boyfriend, who happens to be going on a business trip next week. Awesome.
This is kind of what I looked like.
I guess blogging is my anger management.


images via, via, via

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so wrong. I am not sure why the DMV has to be so darn rude. The one in MA is not any better. My son just traded in his car and I went to the DMV for him. When he went to get a sticker it didn't pass because the dumb a** at the DMV put his car down as the wrong color... now I need to go back. Needless to say, I share your pain!! xo

Sienna said...

this is a cute post. that picture is hystercail

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

DMV=pain in the booty. ALWAYS. Wonder why that is?

Hope you are starting to feel less angry. Sending lots of happy thoughts your way! :) :)

Sara Louise said...

UGH! I HATE, HATE having to deal with stuff like this!

Deanna Pai said...

I must say, I love the pictures! But proof of "presence"? What? When I turned 21, NY required that I mail in a form...and that was it. Sigh. Virginia.

P.S. I start in two weeks! I'm so, so excited. :)