2.07.2011

#adbowl #brandbowl

This year's Super Bowl was pretty fantastic-- the team I was rooting for won (not that I am a fan or anything,) the halftime show was pretty awful, Christina Aguilera flubbed the National Anthem lyrics (keep in mind, she has been singing at sporting events since she was 7 years old,) and -- the best part -- there were a TON of really great auto industry commercials.

My personal faves were the two Volkswagen commercials: "The Force" for the new Passat, and "Black Beetle" for the as-yet-unseen, iconic Beetle!
"The Force" had the cutesy and geeky factors, which I think helped it win among the general population. The commercial showcased, what I think is, exactly what Volkswagen needs to showcase: affordable 'luxury.' This is especially crucial if they want to accomplish their goal of selling 800,000 vehicles in the United States by 2018. Many say this is unrealistic, but if VDub wants to sell like Toyota... they have to market like Toyota and make cars that are kind of boring. Like Toyota. This is a major downside for all of the VW enthusiasts who have fallen head-over-heels for cars like the sporty GTI and Touareg. However, it is too early for these enthusiasts to start turning their backs on their beloved VW. There is talk of the Golf R and other fun Dubs making their way stateside, which would be great for the company to get some more of the ol' faithful VW fans on their side.
"Black Beetle" was my favorite of the bunch. I have been so excited to see the redesigned Beetle since I first heard of it being... let's say... less "feminine." So the new commercials giving the viewers a sneak-peak of the side profile of the car made me schoolgirl-giddy with anticipation. The ad run during the Super Bowl showed even more of the profile than the YouTube video, which had been uploaded earlier in the week, so that was an extra incentive to sit through the horrendous screeching of one of my fave Guns N Roses songs, "Sweet Child o' Mine," provided by --the very sparkly-- Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas. While on the subject of awesome songs, the use of the classic "Black Betty" in the commercial was pretty much perfect. If VW wants to spark the male buyer's interest in the Beetle, I think they were pretty succesful in doing so with this commercial.


As for the other commercials...


Chevy's ad for the Camaro, which featured two insanely annoying "ad agency" dudes describing the action in the commercial was awful. Just awful.

Chevy's ad for the Cruze, a car which apparently is able to update your Facebook status, was awful as well. And who posts status updates about their dates?

Chevy had another spot (for which car, I cannot recall) which starred the Glee cast, and it was also awful.


CHRYSLER. My second face advertisement of the night. How do I describe thy coolness? You gave me more Eminem (after he had already appeared in a Brisk commercial in the same evening,) you gave me Detroit (a city I have never visited, but love nonetheless,) and you gave me the I-am-about-to-cry-at-a-commercial-and-then-don't-because-I-feel-kind-of-stupid feeling. I wasn't interested in the car whatsoever, but I really dug your tagline. And I don't know how I feel about the workers in your factories who go drink and smoke weed on lunch breaks, but I really liked your commercial.



This is really all I remember, apart from the game itself, so my snarky, scatter-brained post will end here.

No comments: