Surfing
Going in the water at the beach after laying out can seem like such a bore if you don't have an activity to do. Surfing takes mental and physical strength, and is the perfect way to stay connected to boardsports-- even off land.
Boating
While I may love the occasionally down and dirty worlds of motorsport and action sports, I also live for luxury. Boating is the ultimate in luxurious travel and relaxation, and one of the first things that pops into my mind when I think of summer. There is nothing quite like the feeling of being able to go, literally, anywhere in the world.
Skateboarding/Longboarding
This is an obvious one. You can do this pretty much year-round in a lot of places, but in the Northeast, warmer weather means clear roads for riding.
Walking/Hiking
Living in NYC for almost my entire life has been a lesson in long-distance walking. It has taught me how healthy basic walking is, as well as how exceptionally easy (and difficult, if avoiding tourist traffic) it can be. I often wonder how suburban families stay fit when they drive everywhere; I will literally walk anywhere in the city, especially in the spring and summer. Everything just seems a little nicer when the weather looks up-- including the people. New Yorkers are generally a private, not-overtly-friendly bunch, but when the sun starts shining and the warm breezes start flowing, smiles abound.
If you live somewhere where there is a semblance of nature --apart from a place like Central Park-- I suggest you go hiking. When I lived in Vermont, I went on a few hikes before the snow started falling and realized just how great hiking can be. You have to think about where you're stepping, plan a route, and navigate obstacles, inclines, etc. I was also worrying about bears most of the time, although that was probably a bit irrational. What else is new...
Sitting
This may seem like a silly suggestion but I love sitting, ANYWHERE, during the summer months. My favorite spot is near my house, on a grassy area in Astoria Park overlooking the East River, Triborough bridge and upper Manhattan. I like to watch the boats go by, eat a snack from one of the many quintessentially Queens Italian bakeries, and read a magazine. The "new" skatepark nearby will also be one of my haunts. I say "new" because it opened just after last summer so it hasn't been christened by properly nice weather yet.
I'm aware there are way more things to do in the summer but these are a selection of my favorites, to take my mind off the fact that winter is months...and months... and months away....




3 comments:
i totally agree with the sitting thing!
how cute is that pup on the surfboard?! love it.
beautiful pics and post!!!!!i just loved the hiking photo.
liked ur blog:)and u have got a new follower
I LOVE boating! It's so peaceful and relaxing!
Post a Comment