5.24.2011

Totally Peninsular

Last night, I experienced supreme luxury and relaxation. I went to The Peninsula SPA by ESPA and it was some serious business pampering.


I headed over, after leaving work at 6:00pm, and met my mother upstairs at the spa reception. From the moment I walked in, I felt like I was in the lap of luxury. The customer service was impeccable; the women were very helpful and informative. The attendant in the locker room was very attentive and led us to each of the rooms we were to go to next.
From reception, we were led into a locker room, where we changed into the provided robe and slippers. We were then led to a tea and relaxation room, where they served us chamomile tea and an apricot macaroon (this was not the last I would see of these delicious puffs.)


Our massage therapists met us there, and then brought us to our individual rooms. We discussed my medical history and medications I take, to see if the massage would affect or aggravate anything. I decided prior to arriving that I was going to get a Swedish massage because my stress levels have been through-the-roof recently, and my shoulders had been killing me.


Then, I think I blacked out.

I don't remember much except lots of prodding, (good) pain, and wonderful smells.

After the massage, we went to the Relaxation Room. I don't know how to describe this room, other than stating that it was pure heaven. There were endless amounts of coconut water (my favorite), almonds (my favorite), and dried mangoes (also my favorite). There were four beds, separated by softly lit screens, and each bed had headphones and a height adjuster. As soon as I sat on the bed, I was pretty sure the bed melted and formed to my body. There was no other way it could possibly have been that comfortable. It was in this magical, shape-shifting bed that I had two additional apricot macaroons. Angels sang.


Photos from NY Mag

Then came reality, and it was time to leave. We slunk out of the clouds and begrudgingly changed out of our robes and slippers. (Can someone tell me why it is not socially acceptable to dress this way in public? I'm pretty sure it would spark world peace.) Of course I had to snap a photo of myself to remember the calm I felt after this amazing experience. It's not often that I find my mind completely devoid of worries and stress, and my body completely lacking in tension.

 I refused to fall completely back into reality by taking the subway home, so we hopped in a cab and yawned the entire way home. 

Not a bad Monday night!

Showing off my thank you note from the massage therapist



8 comments:

Sara Louise said...

I love that feeling during the massage when you're so relaxed, you black out. And then having to leave is soooooo torturous!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

I think I need a massage. Sigh. ;)

Sam W. said...

ahhhh, sounds fabulous :)

Sophie said...

umm omg. this sounds like serious heaven. i am so jealous of you! i really want to have a day like this x

Anonymous said...

Love a great massage! My last one, I fell asleep on the table- what a waist! Maybe I shouldn't have had that 2nd glass of wine beforehand ;) Thank you for visiting! I'm not a Kristen C. fan either.. I should have cropped her head out- haha Enjoy your weekend :)

Lindsay // Vineyard Loveknots said...

That looks like the best Monday night ever, haha!

Ria Stein said...

wow the places looks great, one night in heaven to relax =) http://indie-and-fashion.blogspot.com/

ali v. said...

A great massage on a Monday night? Hello, sign me up!

Hope you've had a great weekend :) xoxo {av}

p.s. be sure to stop by and enter my fab Whiting & Davis giveaway--you could win a handbag worth over $250!